Sunday, December 16, 2012

To Be Held

Breath seven:
I need to take a breath.  I wasn't going to post anything on last Friday’s horrific event in Connecticut.  I am fantastic at avoidance.  I assured myself that my time was better spent simply praying for the families of the victims. When my mom brought up the subject at our school concert, I told her, “I don’t want to talk about it.”  That day I briefly skimmed over a news article, began to tear up and stopped reading.  While I did pray, I ignored a deep sadness and heaviness that I felt.  I was more preoccupied about how to talk to my children about how 20 children and 8 educators were shot in their school, before someone else told them.   Instead of dealing with what happened, I chose to focus on how to address the tragedy.  I am a Christian, a mother, an educator, and a human being, this should not have been my response to injustice and evil.  I should not have simple answers for my children or anyone, as Tony Campolo's words reminded me.   You may find his blog post and the scriptures he sites helpful as well.
I have had few personal tragedies in my life.  I lost three of my grandparents, whom I miss, and I had a miscarriage.  Each event affected me differently and left me with a hurt that never goes away.  Death is horrible and leaves us forever changed.  After my miscarriage I heard a song by Natalie Grant song that comforted me.  I hope that it comforts you too. 
We live in a broken world filled with sin, evil, and tragedy.  Until Jesus returns, I know he will feel each heart break with us.  I pray that all families hurt by unimaginable tragedies know what it is to, “be held” by Jesus when the sacred is torn from their lives and somehow they survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment